Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Why do I blog? Why haven't I for almost a year?

Okay.  I have been motivated as previously posted to start blogging again.  Here is an excerpt from Kate Nowak's blog that has been rolling around in my brain since she posted it.  Damn you, Kate.  Well, okay, it should be more like "THANK YOU, KATE"!

From Kate's blog:
Ahem. If you would, comment on this post and share with me some things:
1. What hooked you on reading the blogs? Was it a particular post or person? Was it an initiative by the nice MTBoS folks? A colleague in your building got you into it? Desperation?
2. What keeps you coming back? What's the biggest thing you get out of reading and/or commenting?
3. If you write, why do you write? What's the biggest thing you get out of it?
4. If you chose to enter a room where I was going to talk about blogging for an hour (or however long you could stand it), what would you hope to be hearing from me? MTBoS cheerleading and/or tourism? How-to's? Stories?

1.  I started reading other people's blogs about math two summers ago right before they had their Twitter Math Camp.  I was jealous I couldn't go.  They seemed like so much fun and full of great ideas.  It really started with getting a twitter account and following Dan Meyer.  I saw who followed him and followed his followers.  That's where and when it all started.  Then, I was inspired to start a blog.  I had no intention of anyone reading it.  I still don't.  It is really for my own thoughts.  I hope to encourage myself with my successes and revamp my teaching through my failures.  Then there was the initiative to post on my blog once a week.  I made some good connections with others.

2.  Humor keeps me coming back.  Frankness of others keeps me coming back.  Success of others ideas and just reading what others are doing (because I am nosy like that) keep my eyes glued to the email box for when new posts are available to read.  I don't usually comment because usually has said it much better than I could and posted the comment 30 seconds before I could.  I know it's not a race to comment.  My 4 favorite bloggers in no particular order:  Kate Nowak, Dan Meyer, Matt Vaudrey, and Sarah Hagan.  By the way... Sarah Hagan rocks it!!!  She's a brand new freakin' teacher and has it going ON!!!  I would like to hire her for my school.  I would like to hire all the above people to teach at my school.  It would be my teaching fantasy line up!!!

3.  The biggest thing I get from blogging is relief.  I can empty my thoughts onto paper, well okay screen, and not have to have swirling around in my mind any longer.  The biggest reason I haven't continued blogging is time.  I am so freakin' busy.  That is not a valid excuse anymore.

4.  I would go into a room just to hear Kate read from the phone book.  I am not a stalker, I swear.  I might have a little math crush going on with her though.  Mostly because she reminds me of a dear teacher friend of mine who was so influential to me and my teaching.  I aspire to be a teacher like her.  I would love to sit down and have a cup of coffee or tea or a beer with her.  I have lots to still learn and lots I can still learn from her and her blog.

I have lots more to do tonight.  I at least have this done.  My evaluation by my new principal is tomorrow.  I am sure I will have some reflections to share.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kelly! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Come to New Orleans and have a coffee with me. :-)

    ReplyDelete